The incumbent in this position will be responsible for teaching and learning, research and community engagement and to provide support to the department/school in pursuit of its academic objectives. He/She will report to the Head of Department (HOD): Family Medicine and Primary Health Care and must meet the requirements, competencies and be responsible for the following key performance areas below.
• MMed: Family Medicine
• At least three (3) years teaching experience with undergraduate medical students
• Registration with the HPCSA for independent practice
• At least two (2) years of lecturing experience in an institution of Higher Learning, or 5 years’ professional experience in the relevant field
• Publications in peer reviewed and/or non-peer reviewed journals will be a strong recommendation
• Demonstration of innovation in the discipline will be an added advantage
• Evidence of participation in community project or community related activities
• Proven ability to navigate online platforms such as Blackboard Collaborate, Zoom and Microsoft Teams with requisite proficiency
• Computer literacy, with a sound knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, Internet and competency of ITS
Technical/ professional knowledge and skill
• Excellent computer skills
• Strategic direction and leadership
• Resource management
• Building interpersonal relationships and partnerships
• Decision-making and problem solving
• Transformational leadership
• Formal presentation
• Mentoring and coaching
• Professional and ethical standards
• Communication (verbal and written)
• Continuous learning
• Student focus
• Facilitating change
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
• Coordinating, reviewing and quality assuring the implementation of undergraduate teaching, learning and assessment of NMFC MBChB VI students and programme (e.g. basic science and pathology, history taking, examination, diagnosis and management of conditions relevant to disciplines such as Family Medicine & PHC, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, etc.)
• Teamwork and collaborating with various disciplines and professions within the University in order to achieve integration of case and task based learning activities
• Leading and participating in a wide spectrum of community-based service-learning and community health
• Proving direction for socially accountable undergraduate MBChB curriculum development, review and transformation
• Upgrade of course content/development of new course materials and/or modules in order to keep up with the latest requirements of the sector/discipline aligned with the school and programme objectives
• Reflect on, and utilize new and emerging approaches and technology in teaching and learning including identification of learning media and application of appropriate assessment methods
• Reflect on, select and use suitable reference material and professional preparation of notes to supplement prescribed textbooks, develop learning guides
• Providing efficient and reliable administrative support to undergraduate students and staff in various academic departments
• Monitor student progress and timeously identify students at risk thus developing appropriate intervention strategies including supplementary instruction, mentoring and coaching
• Develop, review and Implement policies and procedures applicable to the teaching and learning, community engagement, research and academic administration functions
• Contribute to quality assurance through appropriate committee meetings and development of quality assurance improvement strategies including feedback from relevant stakeholders
• Contribute to the expansion of academic related decision-making and development of tailored action plans
• Co-ordinates safety inspections, interventions and proactively monitor and enforce compliance to Health and Safety policies, processes and procedures
• Providing support to students in their development as productive health care professionals through the mentorship programme
• Contribute to the overall development of SMU, and actively promote institutional culture
• Any other duties assigned by the HOD and/or Dean
Applications from Employment Agency will not be considered.
Typed applications (quoting the reference number) which should contain a comprehensive
curriculum vitae, certified copies of all qualifications and contact details of three referees, should be forwarded, for the attention of Mr MJ Mopai, to the Human Resources Department, P.O Box 68, Medunsa, 0204 or e-mail applications in MS Word and PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications may also be posted OR hand delivered to (place in the application box):
Human Resources Department, 5th Floor, Clinical Pathology building, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, Molotlegi Street, Garankuwa, OR Human Resources Department, P. O. Box 68, MEDUNSA, 0204.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). Failure to submit the requested documents/information will result in your application not being considered.
Telephonic enquiries regarding conditions of service: (012) 521-3624
The Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. Applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date must consider their applications as unsuccessful.
The university reserves the right to make or not to make an appointment.