From the President’s desk
As I think of my contribution to the SAAFP newsletter, I am conscious that my letter “From The President’s Desk” was just published in the South African Family Practice Journal. In my short letter, I outline eight areas that we focusing on in 2023:
- Advocating for family physicians in the public sector with national and provincial governments.
- Advocating for family physicians in the private sector and through our Private Sector Forum
- Developing skills in point of care ultrasound. We are launching a short course in collaboration with the Global Ultrasound Institute and have applied for a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to implement POCUS in maternal care.
- Publication and dissemination of the 4th edition of the South African Family Practice Manual – more below
- Organising the National Family Practitioners Conference 17-19 August at the Wanderers in Johannesburg
- Participating in the World Organization of Family Doctor’s global conference in Sydney, Australia 26-29 October.
- Developing workplace-based training and assessment via training and accreditation of clinical trainers as well as implementation of an e-portfolio.
- Electing a new National Council – please nominate people to be elected into Council.