Vacancy: Lecturer/Clinical Trainer (1 Post) 5 Year Fixed Term Contract – Ref: 53/2020/MJM/P8
NELSON MANDELA FIDEL CASTRO PROGRAMME (NMFC)
The incumbent will have Teaching & Learning, Assessment, Curriculum review and Development, Educational Research, Service and Community Engagement responsibilities in the academic department, the School of Medicine and its extended clinical teaching platforms as it relates to NMFC and MBCHB students as an integrated programme. The incumbent reports to the Head of Department: Department of Family Medicine and Primary Health Care and will furthermore meet the requirements and competencies as indicated and be responsible for the key performance areas listed below.
• M Med (Family Medicine)
• At least three (3) years teaching experience with undergraduate medical students
• Current registration with the HPCSA for independent practice
• Computer literate (Word-processing, Power Point, Excel, Internet & e-mail)
• Experience with teaching online, using electronic software/e-learning packages
• Technical/professional knowledge and skills
• Good interpersonal, presentation and communication skills (written and spoken)
• Good report writing skills
• Personal impact, stature, and credibility with unquestionable integrity
• Problem solving and analytical skills
• Client service orientation
• Ability to work in various teams
• Ability to keep information confidential
• Planning and organizational skills
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Committed and dedicated work ethos
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
• Coordinating, reviewing and quality assuring the implementation of undergraduate teaching,
learning and assessment of NMFC MBChB VI students and programme (e.g. basic science and
pathology, history taking, examination, diagnosis and management of conditions relevant to
disciplines such as Family Medicine & PHC, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, etc.)
• Teamwork and collaborating with various disciplines and professions within the University in order to achieve integration of case and task-based learning activities
• Leading and participating in a wide spectrum of community-based service-learning community health
• Proving direction for socially accountable undergraduate MBChB curriculum development, review and transformation
• Upgrade of course content/development of new course materials and/or modules in order to keep up with the latest requirements of the sector/discipline aligned with the school and programme objectives
• Reflect on, and utilize new and emerging approaches and technology in teaching and learning including identification of learning media and application of appropriate assessment methods
• Reflect on, select and use suitable reference material and professional preparation of notes to supplement prescribed textbooks, develop learning guides
• Providing efficient and reliable administrative support to undergraduate students and staff in various academic departments
• Monitor student progress and timeously identify students at risk thus developing appropriate intervention strategies including supplementary instruction, mentoring and coaching
• Develop, review and Implement policies and procedures applicable to the teaching and learning, community engagement, research and academic administration functions
• Contribute to quality assurance through appropriate committee meetings and development of quality assurance improvement strategies including feedback from relevant stakeholders
• Contribute to the expansion of academic related decision-making and development of tailored action plans
• Co-ordinates safety inspections, interventions and proactively monitor and enforce compliance to Health and Safety policies, processes and procedures
• Providing support to students in their development as productive health care professionals through the mentorship programme
• Contribute to the overall development of SMU, and actively promote institutional culture
• Any other duties assigned by the HOD and/or Dea
Closing date: 17 March 2023
Applications from the employment agencies will not be considered. Typed applications (quoting the reference number) which should contain comprehensive curriculum vitae, certified copies of all qualifications and contact details of three referees, should be forwarded,
for the attention of Mr MJ Mopai, to the Human Resources Department, P.O Box 68, Medunsa, 0204 or by e-mail at email@example.com
The applications may also be posted OR hand delivered to (placing in an application box):
Human Resources Department, 5th Floor, Clinical Pathology building, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, Molotlegi street, Ga-Rankuwa, OR Human Resources Department, P.O Box, 68, MEDUNSA, 0204
It is the applicant’s responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African qualification Authority (SAQA). Failure to submit the requested documents/information will result in your application not being considered.
Telephonic enquiries regarding conditions of service: (012) 521 3624.
The Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. Applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date must consider their applications as unsuccessful.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.