All present members of the SAAFP in good standing shall be admitted to full membership of the SAAFP.
Any Family Physician as such registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa, and any medical practitioner who in the opinion of the Council of the SAAFP should be admitted as full member, may be awarded full membership.
This also means that any medical practitioner not registered as a family physician can also be admitted as full member if they have similar professional experience and performs a similar field of practice. All applicants qualifying for full membership must become/remain a full member and will not be admitted any other category of membership (e.g. associate).
The following criteria for full membership have been approved by the Council (17 February 2012):
Applicants must be good standing with the HPCSA and not be registered in another specialty other than family medicine, and:
- Be a current member of the Academy (in good standing before membership term exipration date 30 April 2012); or
- Be registered as family physician with HPCSA; or
- Hold a Fellowship of CFP(SA) or equivalent, or a Masters degree in family medicine or equivalent, but not be registered as family physician with HPCSA; or
- Hold one or more postgraduate diplomas/degrees (other than in point 3) in a domain relevant to family medicine, PLUS at least 6 years of professional experience relevant to family medicine (independent- or public practice); or
- Have eight (8) years or more years professional experience as medical practitioner relevant to family medicine (independent- or public practice).
Full members shall enjoy all the benefits and privileges of members of the Academy, including full voting rights at general meetings.